NEWS
Aluminium   Auto   Public Transportation  

Electric vehicles sales in India jump 20% in FY20, driven by electric two-wheelers

Electric vehicle sales in India have reportedly recorded a growth of 20 per cent to 156,000 units in the financial year 2019-20, largely driven by the sales of electric two-wheelers that form bulk of the nascent industry.

Of 156,000 units, electric two-wheelers sales accounted for 152,000 units during the fiscal, up 20.7 per cent from the last year, while electric cars accounted for 3,400 units, down from 3,600 units in the year ago. Electric bus sales were 600 units compared to 400 units in the financial year 2018-19.

Of the electric two-wheelers sold in FY20, 97 per cent were electric scooters, and the remaining 3 per cent were motorcycles and electric cycles.

Industry body Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicle estimates the e-rickshaw sales at around 90,000 units during the FY20. The corresponding figures of the e-ricks sold in the previous year have not been documented, it said.

"The EV industry is taking shape and we believe that despite the COVID19, the FY 20-21 will be a defining year for all the EV segments. While the EV industry is surely going to face the brunt of COVID19 like any other automotive business, the clearer skies and the cleaner air even in the worst polluting cities is certainly leaving a permanent impression in the minds of the customers about how they can breathe easy and remain healthy if the society moves towards e-mobility," said Sohinder Gill, Director General, Society of Manufacturers of Electric Vehicles.

The decrease in the number of electric four-wheeler sales was primarily due to the lack of bulk purchase of e-cars during the fiscal and discontinuation of one of the leading e-car models – Mahindra e2O plus. Nonetheless, SMEV pointed out that the acceptability of electric cars in the premium segment in the second half of the year with the launch of Hyundai Kona and MG ZS was positive. The e-taxi segment also started gaining some attention, although the lack of charging spot remained a deterrent.

Gill also said, "A pertinent factor that may work in favour of electric two-wheelers post-COVID would be the choice of switching over from crowded mass transport to the sensibly priced electric two-wheelers with almost the same cost of commuting, as of public transport."

News No: 9205
Date: 2020/04/20 - 18:57
News Source: ALCIRCLE.COM

Electric  vehicle  India  industry  public transport. 

Comments:

Leave a Comment:

   
   
   
 

Energy Ministry considering incentive packages to manage electricity consumption

Iranian Energy Minister said on Wednesday that his ministry is considering new incentive packages for low-consuming households and industrial electricity subscribers, IRIB reported.
 

HEPCO to manufacture equipment, machinery for mining companies

Heavy Equipment Production Company (HEPCO) has signed memorandums of understanding (MOUs) with five major domestic mining companies to manufacture equipment and machinery for them.
 

Industrial parks attract $2.1b of foreign investment

Latest data released by Iran’s Industry, Mining, and Trade Ministry show that the country’s industrial parks managed to attract 231 investors with a total $2.1 billion of investment in the previous Iranian calendar year (ended on March 19).
 

Energy Ministry calls on govt. bodies to reduce power consumption

Spokesman of Iran’s electricity sector said that government organizations and agencies account for nearly 4,000 megawatts (MW) of the country’s electricity consumption and they need to reduce this figure by at least 10 percent.
 

Industrial sector's power consumption exceeds 5GW

Electricity consumption by Iran’s industrial sector broke the current Iranian calendar month’s (started on May 21) previous record to reach 5,153 megawatts (5.0153 GW) on Friday, IRNA reported.
 

Mining companies' sales through stock market up 55% in 2 months

The total sales of large mining companies through the stock market has increased by 55 percent in the first two months of the current Iranian calendar year (March 20-May 20), year on year, Iranian Mines and Mining Industries Development and Renovation Organization (IMIDRO) announced.
Upcoming Events
Publications
 Mines & Metals

Mine & Business Today

 Scrap & Recycling

Ahangan

Our partners